Matthew 5:1-12, NLT
3 “God blesses those who are poor and realize their need for him,*
for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs. 4 God blesses those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5 God blesses those who are humble,
for they will inherit the whole earth.
6 God blesses those who hunger and thirst for justice,*
for they will be satisfied.
7 God blesses those who are merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8 God blesses those whose hearts are pure,
for they will see God.
9 God blesses those who work for peace,
for they will be called the children of God.
10 God blesses those who are persecuted for doing right,
for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.
11 “God blesses you when people mock you and persecute you and lie about you and say all sorts of evil things against you because you are my followers. 12 Be happy about it! Be very glad! For a great reward awaits you in heaven. And remember, the ancient prophets were persecuted in the same way. 1”
* 5:3 Greek poor in spirit.
* 5:6 Or for righteousness.
1 Tyndale House Publishers, Holy Bible: New Living Translation (Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale House Publishers, 2015), Mt 5:1–12.
- The poor in spirit – those who choose to DEPEND on God and not on themselves. vs 3
- Those who mourn – those whose hearts are BROKEN by the things that break the heart of God. vs 4
- The humble (meek) – shall inherit the earth, the LAND. vs 5Psalm 37:10 -11, NLT
Soon the wicked will disappear.
Though you look for them,
They will be gone.
The lowly [meek, humble] will possess the land, And will live in peace and prosperity.
- Hunger and thirst for justice or righteousness – a SPIRITUAL desire, intense longing which God will satisfy. vs 6
- The merciful – are SHOWN mercy. vs 7Romans 12:8, NIV spiritual gifts. “ . . . if it is to mercy, do it cheerfully.”
- Pure in heart – whole BEING is clean, pure and close to God. vs 8
- Peacemaker – inner peace with God, MESSENGER of peace. vs 9
- Those who SUFFER for the sake of righteousness. vs 10-12
Call to Action:
13 “You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless.
14 “You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. 15 No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father. 2
What does this mean for us?
1. DIG in deep!
2. LEAN into one another.
3. GLORIFY God through how we live, act and serve.
2 Tyndale House Publishers, Holy Bible: New Living Translation (Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale House Publishers, 2015), Mt 5:13–16.